HVAC problems are common, from minor issues to more serious malfunctions. Taking good care of…
Carbon monoxide can be extremely difficult to detect since it is often referred to as the ‘silent killer.’ Carbon monoxide does not have a smell, taste, and odor which makes it one of the most difficult gases to detect. Carbon monoxide can usually be seen around fireplace, gas ranges, and furnaces.
If carbon monoxide is not taken care of properly, the increasing amount may become poisonous for everyone living in the house. Carbon monoxide leakage has been one of the main reasons for thousands of death in households every year. Usually, the death toll due to carbon monoxide increases during the winter season.
If you are concerned about the rising carbon monoxide level in the house, you should prefer reaching out to an expert heating and air conditioning systems technician.
What is carbon monoxide?
Rather than referring to carbon monoxide as a silent killer, it will be better to call it an invisible assassin since it has resulted in so many deaths over the year. The deadly nature of the carbon monoxide has resulted in thousands of deaths. This poisonous odorless gas forms to be an important aspect of the different household appliances.
When you inhale carbon monoxide the ability of oxygen transfer in the blood is hindered. This results in the poisoning of the body or asphyxiation.
What causes carbon monoxide leakage in the house?
Different household appliances such as heating systems, air conditioners, and gas fires can be a major source for carbon monoxide. Too much of running the car in enclosed space can also lead to carbon monoxide leakage.
Sometimes the leakage from blocked fuels and chimneys can be a major aspect of carbon monoxide. The level of carbon monoxide keeps on increasing, and exposure can lead to increased toxic levels.
How to prevent increasing carbon monoxide levels?
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be extremely harmful to the body some of the prominent steps that you should take to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning include the following:
- Check the chimney for safety
If you want to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, you should keep a clear check on chimneys. Cleaning inspecting the clogged chimneys can help to increase the safety and efficiency of the house. If you cannot do it, you can call the experts to help you out.
Whenever the fireplace is not in use, you should prefer cleaning the chimney. If there are any dangerous flammable creosote in the chimney, you should remove it. If the chimney hasn’t been inspected, you should prefer calling the HVAC professionals who can help to clean the ducts.
If you have a gas-burning furnace in your house, you should:
- Check the position if gas logs
- Shut down the gas valve and examine the igniter
- Check if there are any cracks on glass doors
- Get carbon monoxide detectors and alarms
Carbon monoxide detectors are very much similar to smoke detectors, with the only difference being the former detecting carbon monoxide level while the latter checks the smoke level.
Since carbon monoxide is poisonous and odorless, you should prefer installing the carbon monoxide detectors in your house. Installing these will help to keep a check on levels, thereby ensuring to keep out the toxicity.
You should prefer getting the best carbon monoxide detectors. You can choose from a wide range of basic to smart devices. The guide usually contains all the information regarding the detectors. However, if you are not sure about it, you should prefer reaching out to the HVAC expert who can help you out with that.
As per the manufacturers, one should keep a sincere check on the alarms. Thus, you should check it once in the month the collection of carbon monoxide alarm will help you check the level of carbon monoxide in the house, thereby indicating the amount which can be harmful.
- Do not use a gas oven to heat the house
No matter how easy and beneficial it seems, you should never opt for using a gas oven to heat the house. If the oven is used for long hours, it can cause an explosion. Thus, you should not use the gas ovens for too long. Moreover, the emission of carbon monoxide can further prove to be damaging to the heated oven.
- Schedule regular maintenance
If you have any HVAC system installed in your house, you should always opt for yearly maintenance. However, take a note to reach out to the qualified technicians for a better service. The fumes from ovens and heaters, if not taken care of properly can lead to a risky situation.
If you conduct timely cleaning and maintenance, you will be aware of the potential problems. This will further help you to use it efficiently. You should carry out the maintenance every year before winter.
The qualified technician will be checking all the possible aspects regarding safety, ventilation, and mechanical maintenance. It is expected that proper maintenance of the system can lead to the systems lasting for more than two years. If you notice any kind of odd odor or noise from your system, you should take it seriously and call an expert to get it checked.
- Check the airflow of HVAC system
Most of the people prefer changing the furniture in the house every year. If you are one of them, you should make sure to check that the furniture blocks no venting systems. Blocked vents can be harmful since the heat cannot escape. This will further result in the accumulation of heat leading to the heated furnace.
Before using them, you should prefer checking the supply system and ensuring that the heat escapes properly and that fresh air enters the room effectively. The closed vents can be extremely dangerous. Some of the potential side-effects that it can cause include:
- Decreased airflow causing comfort problems.
- Too much of duct leakage.
- Cracked heat exchanger allowing carbon monoxide to get in the house.
- Condensation and mold growth during winters owing to lesser surface temperature.
You should prefer installing carbon monoxide detectors in your house for safety purposes. Moreover, the alarm sound of the detector would ensure the potential level of risks which would further be harmful.
Carbon monoxide in the house can lead to several problems, not only to you and the family members but the HVAC systems as well. Thus, you can always work towards keeping the home carbon monoxide free by scheduling a regular check-up. This ensures the safety and helps to save energy and money.
For fast, reliable AC & Heating repair, service, installation, or sales, contact the professionals at 1st Class Heat & Air. We offer after-hours AC repair and can provide help for AC compressor failure seven days per week. Call us today at 972-673-0408 .